How to improve your heart health!
Carrying excess fat, high blood pressure and cholesterol imbalances all have an impact on the health of your heart. Nutritional deficiencies such as B12, folate, iron, vitamin D and zinc are also important to keep an eye on, in order to maintain the health of your heart. Imbalanced levels of these can vastly increase your risk of cardiovascular problems and yet are usually simple to address.
The good news is that your cardiovascular health can be greatly improved – and preserved – through following a healthy diet and lifestyle. If caught early it is much easier to manage cardiovascular problems such as high blood pressure, cholesterol imbalances and inflammation naturally, and thus avoid the need for medication.
“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food”, as Hippocrates’ ancient saying goes. Following a Mediterranean-style diet has been consistently proven to be one of the most effective steps you can take to prevent heart disease. There is no calorie counting, but rather simple guidelines around the best foods to eat, including an abundance of fresh fruits and vegetables, regular servings of oily fish, cold pressed oils such as olive and avocado, fresh nuts and seeds, and wholegrains rather than refined carbohydrates.
Follow a heart- healthy Mediterranean-style diet by including:
· An abundance of fruits and vegetables rich in heart healthy antioxidants, fibre, vitamins and minerals.
· Lean and plant-based proteins such as fish, poultry, beans, nuts and seeds.
· High-quality oils and fats such as cold pressed olive oil and avocado.
· Whole grains including brown rice, quinoa, buckwheat, and oats.
· Fibre, in the form of fruits and vegetables, wholegrains, nuts and seeds.
· Heart protective herbs and spices such as turmeric, garlic, ginger and cinnamon.
To optimise your cardiovascular health and get expert advice, make an appointment with one of the Holistic Medical Centre Naturopaths or Holistic GP’s . Contact us on 09 370 0650