Achieving your dream is certainly not an easy task; however it is worth the effort!
Eleven tips to achieve your goals:
- To achieve your goals, start by getting yourself organised and create a template using a ‘SMART’ way to set your It is an easy yet powerful way of achieving your goals. To set SMART goals:
Specific – (i.e. what do I want to accomplish?) – Be clear and specific about what you wanted to achieve.
Measurable – (i.e. how will I know when it is accomplished?) – Take baby steps! Acknowledge your progress, which also will help you to stay on track and motivated to reach your ultimate goal.
Attainable – (i.e. how can the goal be accomplished? Are your goals realistic?). Take baby steps to figure out ways that you could make it work. As soon you are clear that your goals are achievable your attitude and skills are likely to focus towards it.
Relevant – (i.e. is it worth persevering?) – with integrity ask yourself how relevant this journey is for you. And, if I get stuck, do a pros and cons exercise to double check if you are on the right track.
Time – (i.e. what can you do today?) – Set your a time. It is not unusual for people to get overwhelmed if you think about the end result, especially if your goal queries time. Thus, to help you with that, set your goals focusing on day-to-day basis and tried not to look too far.
- When the challenges do arise, try not fight them, instead, see if you’re able to work with them. There is probably a lesson to be learned or it may be time to stop and reflect on if what you are doing is working for you. There is nothing wrong that if half way thought your journey you realise that you have changed you mind. At the end of the day, we are allowed to change our opinions, to make mistakes and to continue to learn about who we are and what we want.
- Allow yourself to be flexible so you can enable yourself to respond to new situations and challenges. Sometimes things can get on our way; life is like a surprise box…we never know what the future will bring.
- Be kind to yourself. While on the journey of achieving your dream it is likely you will have to go through some “hard times”… remember… it is just part of the journey and mistakes are there so we can learn from them. But also, one of the biggest obstacles that we are likely to encounter is ourselves. We have a tendency to be our own taskmasters, to be tough on ourselves; to demand high levels of perfectionism and to set goals that in reality may be likely fail. Therefore, be kind to yourself, it makes you more effective.
- Learn how to deal with stress, learn what triggers your stress and start to observe how your body reacts to it. Then it may be easier to work around this, to find solutions and eventually move further towards your goals.
- Develop a good routine for self-care i.e. go for walks, have baths, yoga, meditation, socialising etc. Having a good self-care will help to keep your body and mind balanced.
- Accept that sometimes things are out of our control and all you can do is your best. And that our best will differ dependent on our circumstances.
- Get in tune with yourself. Learn to distinguish what feels right and what feel wrong. If it feels wrong it is time for self-reflection, as something is not right.
- Plan! Plan! Plan! We are always trying to fit more and more into our days! Prioritise what is important to you. Get organised. Try writing a goal achievement diary, and list what has contributed to your goal and how proud you are of your self for doing it. Find the positive side of things specially when you are facing a difficult situation.
- Reconnect with your values, reflect on what is important to you and refocus on you goals. Goals are easier to work towards if they align with what is truly important to us.
- Treat yourself for working so hard. It is important that you reinforce your behaviour if you’ve done something that you feel proud of. A good trick is to have a hat full of papers folded with treats (i.e. a massage, have a night out, have a bath, go to the movies, etc) and if you work the hours planed for the week allow yourself to pick a treat from the hat!