Five Foods to Improve Your Mood
Hormonal changes, fluctuations in blood sugar, and thyroid issues all play a part in our mood levels. Any deficiencies in our vital nutrients can have a knock-on effect on the way that we feel. Good nutrition plays a key role in maintaining our mood also.
Here’s 5 food groups that can start you on the way:
· Mushrooms A handful of mushrooms will provide 36% of your recommended daily intake of selenium, a vital component in supporting your immune system, and are the richest source of selenium in the produce department.
· Leafy greens such as spinach, kale and silverbeet are excellent sources of mood boosting nutrients folate and magnesium. Include a good serving of these daily
· Seafood is a rich source of omega 3 oils for healthy mood as well as zinc and iodine for thyroid health. Choose oily fish such as sardines, anchovies or wild salmon for their superior omega 3 supply. Mussels and oysters provide high levels of zinc, and sea veggies such as New Zealand karengo are rich in iodine.
· Fermented foods supply beneficial probiotic bacteria to support bowel health and the production of the mood-boosting hormone serotonin.
· Cinnamon is a spice that is traditionally used to help support blood sugar regulation. Use this liberally in cooking, mixed into natural muesli, or add to soups and smoothies to help with maintain your blood sugar levels and rebalance your mood.
To optimise your health and get expert advice on how you can best support your mood and energy levels through nutrition, make an appointment with one of the Holistic Medical Centre Naturopaths or Holistic GP’s . Contact us on 09 370 0650