Exhaustion and Fatigue – Causes and Dietary Advice
How many of you are dragging yourselves out of bed in the morning to get to the gym, take the kids to school, get to work, make another deadline, attend to a sick family member, keep the house/kids/job/partner happy, arrange extracurricular activities….. phew where is the YOU in this?
Or have you reduced your workload, cut out the gym, said no to that invitation, let the washing and the dishes accumulate, have no dependants, and you’re still exhausted?!
Exhaustion and fatigue can be the result of physical and/or emotional stressors. Each person will be effected differently and have a different perception of these effects. Acute or chronic illness, poor diet, abuse, over work, injury, grief, substance abuse, poor sleep, constant worry/fear, poor digestion, toxicity – the list is endless.
Firstly it is most important to have a thorough check up with your Holistic Medical Centre G.P. to rule out any underlying medical causes. It could be as simple as having a set of routine blood tests covering the following:
- Full blood count
- Iron studies
- Thyroid function tests
- Hormone levels
- Liver and kidney function
- Nutrient levels; Vitamin D, Zinc, Folate/B12, Magnesium
Further functional testing that can provide detailed information
- DUTCH (Dried Urine testing for Comprehensive Hormones)
- Salivary hormones and Adrenocortex stress profile
- CDSA (Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis) or Bioscreen
- OAT (Organic Acids Test)
Your Holistic Medical Centre Naturopath will provide a full and comprehensive personal assessment, looking at your signs and symptoms, health history, diet and lifestyle.
Some quick tips to help you get started on the right track:
- Eat a diet of unprocessed whole natural foods, preferably organic
- Eat an abundance of fresh colourful and dark leafy green vegetables. Aim for 5-10 servings a day (one serving is one of your handfuls)
- Include healthy fats, at least 2 Tablespoons per serve of avocado, olive oil, walnuts, chia seeds, sardines, organic eggs
- Keep hydrated with 1.5-2L of filtered water daily
- Get 30-60mins of safe sun exposure daily
- Gentle daily movement, walks in nature, yoga/tai chi, swimming
- Spend time feeling joyful, watch funny cats on youtube, play guitar, sing